Thursday, July 27, 2006

LPC Leadership Race

OK, let's shift gears a bit...

As a card-carrying CPC member, I'd been thinking about who I wanted to see win the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada. I concluded a while back that what the "citizen in me" wants is more important than what the "politician in me" wants.

Given who seems to be doing well and who doesn't, I want Ignatieff or Bevilacqua to win. While both are considered right-leaning and would give the Conservatives more competition for the same votes, I've decided that's the best thing for the country. I would welcome a tempering of the traditional anti-Americanism of the Liberals because I think it would do more for the conservative cause than having a Conservative Party that stands alone.

This also reminds me of the writings of Dinesh D'Souza (sp?) in the US, who believes that as the Democrats have gone over the deep end and vacated the center, it's reduced the pressure on the Republicans to not drift in that direction. I believe the reverse is true - that a Liberal Party that is favorable to at least some tax cuts will keep the Conservatives disciplined.

But the politician in me won't be totally let down, because it will be interesting and enjoyable to watch the NDP take more Liberal votes. Think all of Northern Ontario turning orange... :) Plus there will be some exciting three-way races to come, even if the Liberals are able to hold off the Tories in suburban ridings.

2 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger Mitch said...

I think the liberal party is in a point of transformation. It is starting to evolve from a 'brokerage' party - one that is a coalition fo disparate groups that is used to get power to a more ideological party. Alas, I don't know if any of the candiates can effect that change that needs to be taken.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Taxbeaner said...

D'Souza is wrong. The center moved while Dems remained where they were. They have two choices. Move right or remain where they are and wait for the Hoover effect to return them to power. As a Dem, I'm not sure I want them in power when the fan is struck by feces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home